Thursday, July 16, 2009

Countdown

Ten short hours and we’ll be off and running! To be accurate, we’ll be walking to Emmaus, but the time there will fly by and before we know it we’ll be home again, poured out and filled up to overflowing again on Highland Emmaus Community’s 37th Women’s Walk.

Last weekend, serving on the background for the Men’s Walk, the two questions I heard the most were, “Are you ready?” and “Are you nervous?” My answers then were no and no again, but I’m almost ready now. I’ve packed my bags (and a few boxes of “just in case” items) and we’re set up on the campus of Emory & Henry. My talk is tweaked, my agape letters written, my covered dish cooked.

But more than all of that, I’m ready to see what God will do in the lives of the women He sends this weekend. I’m ready for him to show up in a BIG way! And I’m ready to bask in His presence for 72 hours without the everyday interruptions of the real world.

Bless his heart, my friend Rick G. asked me a different question at Emory last night: “Are you EXCITED?” he asked, practically vibrating with his own excitement. I had to tell him that, even though I am very excited, I am a pretty laid back girl and the casual observer may not see my enthusiasm on the surface.

My heart is also very tender for the pilgrims who will come, as well as for my team. The devil has been hitting all of us hard this past week with his full arsenal of ammunition. But my confidence (and yes Rick, my excitement) comes from knowing that our God is bigger by far than Satan, and this weekend is HIS. He is in control, and Satan has no place among us. God will work His mighty miracles and lives will be forever changed, and if that doesn’t cause the hairs to stand up on your arms in anticipation, you need to get excited!

To God be the glory for all He has done and all he has yet to do on this Walk to Emmaus.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. ~ Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

DeColores!

No comments:

Post a Comment